Check this out!

Friday, July 22, 2011

Bow Tie Block Tutorial !!!!

Let's make some Bow Tie Block Units!

Soooo....I am hosting this swap over on flikr, the Scrappy BowTie Block Swap , and I need to make a bunch of bow ties.  I used  this Canoe Ridge Creations tutorial to make my first several.  Then, as I now have this blog and need some stuff to fill it up with and needed to test my blogger-post-tutorial skills, I came up with this tutorial of my own.  Enjoy!



 For each unit you will need...
2-3 1/2" print squares
2 2" print squares
2-3 1/2" white squares










Draw a line from corner to corner of the 2" print square, then sew on the line to a white square....repeat with the other 2" print and white squares.
  
Trim 1/4" from your sewn line and iron the seam towards the print side. 

Sew the 3 1/2" colored squares to the white/print squares and iron open. 











 
Lay both sections out and butt the two center seams together, then sew with a 1/4" seam.











Iron the block open and Voila!  You have one Bow Tie unit!


(a note about my make-shift ironing area...my ironing board has been "put away"  this is my bathroom counter with a Dora the Explorer towel and a dollar store bottle of water and corn starch.  The homemade starch hasn't burned or discolored anything yet!)



Now, cut a bunch of squares, strip piece them to your hearts content, and in a couple of hours you will have....











.....a bunch of Bow Ties ready for your Scrappy Bow Tie Block Swap!

I need 255 for my king size quilt!  I better get to work!









until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment